Testing and Assessment Services
Determine What Classes You Need
Prior to registering for classes, most students need to take an English and math placement test as part of the Admission process.
- Placement is determined by taking an assessment test call ACCUPLACER, OR
- By submitting documentation that exempts you from taking the ACCUPLACER.
If English is your second language, you may ask to take a different version of the ACCUPLACER called LOEP.
What to Expect:
- You should prepare to take the ACCUPLACER. Look under Resources located on the Testing and Assessment Services Home page.
- Allow approximately two hours to complete the assessment. The test is not timed.
- You are given your placement scores immediately after you complete the ACCUPLACER.
- New students to Edmonds Community College are then asked to sign up for a one-hour advising session.
- Advising sessions are scheduled throughout the day and the week. Most students are able to attend a session within an hour after they complete the ACCUPLACER.
- If you are unable to attend an advising session on the day you take the ACCUPLACER, you may schedule a time and day that works for you.
- You are ready to register for classes after you attend an advising session.
Challenging your Placement
- You may retake the ACCUPLACER once per quarter.
- A $25 retest fee applies.
- Please note: after you are initially assessed, if you start taking classes based on your placement, you may not retest as a way to skip classes in a sequence.
EdMail: You are required to use it! It is the way we communicate with you.
The college assigns all students EdMail (email) accounts within a couple of days after they register for their first class. Note: if you are a former student returning after time away from school, check with the Enrollment Services Office to confirm what email address we have on file for you. We use the address recorded in the Enrollment Services records. To gain access to your account, follow the steps at www.edcc.edu/edmail.