Prior Learning Assessment
A course challenge is the process used when:
- there is a specific Edmonds CC course for which you believe you have met the learning outcomes
- the course had been designated as one that is challengeable (not all courses may be challenged).
Course challenges are self-supporting with an assessment fee of $225. There is no refund for an unsuccessful challenge.
A successful challenge will be transcripted with an "S" grade or a decimal grade. There will be no transcript entry for an unsuccessful challenge.
Your successful challenge will be transcripted within the quarter earned and does count toward Edmonds Community College residency requirement.
If you plan to transfer to another institution, be sure to check the transferability of credits earned through a challenge.
Consider reviewing the course objectives of the course you are interested in challenging. You will find the learning outcomes for each course by going to www.edcc.edu/catalog then click on Course Descriptions and Objectives on the left hand column. You will then select the class you would like to challenge to see if you believe that you will be able to demonstrate those learning outcomes.
You should reference those objectives as you complete the course challenge request form.
This form is located by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page. You will go through a series of steps which begin with “Welcome to the Online Electronic Forms.” You will:
- Click on the “Student” button which will take you to the “Student Authentication” page
- You will enter your SID then your PIN and click on “Authenticate” (if you are not an Edmonds CC student, you will receive directions on what to do to apply to the college)
- On the next page, click on “Continue”
- On the next page, click on the “Select” button next to Course Challenge
- Your personal information will appear on the top portion of the page. “I” buttons are available throughout this page for additional information.
- You will list the Course Title, Department, and Course Number of the course you would like to challenge.
- Under Qualifications/reasons for challenging course and referring to the course objectives, give clear evidence as to why you feel you can successfully challenge this course.