Running Start


students on campusWhat are the eligibility requirements?

Edmonds Community College wants to make your experience a successful one and ensure you are prepared to meet the challenge of college level coursework. To determine which courses you are eligible to take, you must:

  1. Complete both the Accuplacer English and Math assessment test.**
  2. Meet the pre-requisites for the class you intend to take (based on assessment test)

If you placed into ENGL 101, you are eligible to take a broad range of college level classes.

If you assess below ENGL 101 (for example into ENGL 099, or BRDG 115) you also will be eligible to take classes, but class offerings are more limited.

List of classes you can take based on your assessment score can be found here.

** If needed, contact the Testing and Assessment Services 425.640.1546 to inquire about language accommodation, or Services for Students with Disabilities 425.640.1320 for testing accommodation or support.


  • English and Math assessments are required to determine a student's readiness for college-level work.
  • ACCUPLACER is not a pass/fail or graded test. The test is meant to determine existing knowledge and course placement.
  • Test results and a letter explaining what to do next will be given to you immediately after completing the test.

If English is your second language, you may ask to take different version of the ACCUPLACER called LOEP.

Resources to help you prepare for the ACCUPLACER assessment

ACCUPLACER Test Prep books are also available for check out by students in the college library. Non-Edmonds CC students are welcome to visit the library and review the book, but cannot check it out. Lynnwood Hall, 3rd Floor, 425.640.1472. Book titles available:

  • Doug French's Verbal Prep for the Accuplacer by Doug French.
  • Bob Miller's Math for the Accuplacer: All the Math you Need for a Higher Score, by Bob Miller.
  • Accuplacer Test Success: Accuplacer Practice Tests.

English assessment / Math assessment

  • For information on English placement.
  • For information on the ACCUPLACER Math assessment see the math department website.
  • Call the Testing and Assessment Services to check their schedule.
  • Bring your student ID number and photo ID to the test.

Challenging your Placement

  • You may retake the ACCUPLACER once per quarter.
  • A $25.00 retest fees applies.
  • Please note: after you are initially assessed, if you start taking classes based on your placement, you may not retest as a way to skip classes in a sequence.

ACCUPLACER Exceptions - Documentation is Required

You may not need to take the ACCUPLACER, or may only need to complete part of the test if you meet any of the following conditions.

  • You took the ACCUPLACER,COMPASS assessment at another college with in the past two years (if your assessment scores were obtained at another Washington State University or Technical College, see Placement Reciprocity below).
  • You completed English Composition and or Intermediate Algebra at an accredited college or university with a grade of 2.0 or higher.

If any of the conditions pertain to you, submit your documentation to Testing and Assessment Services.

Alternative Assessment

Assessment and/or placement in English and Math courses, and determining pre-requisites for other courses can be determined through a variety of options. These include:

  • International Baccalaureate (IB) test scores.
  • Advanced Placement (AP) test scores.
  • Smarter Balance test scores.
  • High School transcript (in limited situations).
  • Assessment/Test scores from other institutions.
  • Transcript from other institutions.

Students are required to bring a photo ID and unofficial copies of test results or transcript to the Testing and Assessment Services. The Testing and Assessment Services Staff will review the documents and determine placement. In cases where placement is not clear based on test scores, Testing and Assessment Services Staff will consult with the appropriate department and/or faculty to assist with a final determination.

Please note that if the student wants AP or IB test scores and/or transcript officially evaluated for purposes other than placement, official copies of AP or IB scores and/or transcript are required and a separate process is followed. This process is outlined on the Edmonds CC website under Transcript Evaluation.

For additional information see the Testing and Assessment Services's web page.

EdMail: You are required to use it! It is the way we communicate with you.

The college assigns all students EdMail (email) accounts within a couple of days after they register for their first class. Note: if you are a former student returning after time away from school, check with the Enrollment Services Office to confirm what email address we have on file for you. We use the address recorded in the Enrollment Services records. To gain access to your account, follow the steps at