What are the eligibility requirements?
Edmonds Community College wants to make your experience a successful one and ensure you are prepared to meet the challenge of college level coursework. To determine which courses you are eligible to take, you must:
- Complete both the Accuplacer English and Math assessment test.**
- Meet the pre-requisites for the class you intend to take (based on assessment test)
If you placed into ENGL 101, you are eligible to take a broad range of college level classes.
If you assess below ENGL 101 (for example into ENGL 099, or BRDG 115) you also will be eligible to take classes, but class offerings are more limited.
List of classes you can take based on your assessment score can be found here.** If needed, contact the Testing Center 425.640.1546 to inquire about language accommodation, or Services for Students with Disabilities 425.640.1320 for testing accommodation or support.
ACCUPLACER® or LOEP
- English and Math assessments are required to determine a student's readiness for college-level work.
- ACCUPLACER is not a pass/fail or graded test. The test is meant to determine existing knowledge and course placement.
- Test results and a letter explaining what to do next will be given to you immediately after completing the test.
If English is your second language, you may ask to take different version of the ACCUPLACER called LOEP.
Resources to help you prepare for the ACCUPLACER assessment
- Accuplacer Sample Test from the College Board
- Accuplacer App for iPhone
- Online Test Prep Practice Test
- Math Preparation
Accuplacer Test Prep books are also available for check out by students in the college library. Non-Edmonds CC students are welcome to visit the library and review the book, but cannot check it out. Lynnwood Hall, 3rd Floor, 425.640.1472. Book titles available:
- Doug French's Verbal Prep for the Accuplacer by Doug French.
- Bob Miller's Math for the Accuplacer: All the Math you Need for a Higher Score, by Bob Miller.
- Accuplacer Test Success: Accuplacer Practice Tests.
English assessment / Math assessment
- For information on English placement.
- For information on the ACCUPLACER Math assessment see the math department website.
- Call the Testing Center to check their schedule.
- Bring your student ID number and photo ID to the test.
Other ways to determine eligibility
- If the student has Compass test results from another college and would like to use these results here, the results must be interpreted, first, by an academic adviser at Edmonds CC.
- Other college transcript - if the student has taken English 101 with a grade of 2.0 or above at another community college, he/she may provide an official transcript.
- AP scores - if the student has earned a 4 or a 5 in Advanced Placement English, a 4 or a 5 and possibly a 3 for certain AP math classes, at the high school, he/she may provide test scores.
- IB scores - If the student has earned a 4,5, 6, or a 7 in International Baccalaureate English, at the high school, he/she may provide test scores.
For additional information go to: www.edcc.edu/es/assessment.html.