Frequently Asked Questions

What is EdCAP?

The Edmonds Career Access Program (EdCAP) provides young adults the opportunity to earn a high school diploma in a college environment as well as having the option to explore classes to earn a certificate or even an Associate of Technical Arts in one of our many professional/technical programs.

What is the age requirement to be in EdCAP?

In order to be age eligible, students must be less than age 21 but at least age 16 on September 1 of the school year in which they wish to enroll. There are no exceptions. Per WAC 392-700 (1)

What other eligibility requirements are there?

Students must have not yet earned their high school diploma and be: a) significantly behind in credits or b) recommended for enrollment by district-approved school personnel or other designated professionals. Per WAC 392-700 (1). Undocumented students are welcome!

How much does EdCAP cost?

Tuition is free. Most books, fees, and certain supplies are paid for as long as a student is in the program.

How many high school credits do I need to get into EdCAP?

There is no minimum or maximum credit requirement.

How do I apply to EdCAP?

Does everyone who applies get in?

No. Acceptance is based on:

EdCAP is not for everyone and we refer students to other programs at the College and in the community that better meet their needs.

I am looking for an easier alternative high school program. Is EdCAP the right fit for me?

No, EdCAP is not necessarily an easier alternative to traditional high school. Students take classes that are designed to help them complete High School Diploma requirements including state tests and culminating project. In addition, EdCAP students are required to take two EdCAP classes: EdCAP 095 and EdCAP 096, which are designed to help support students in their transition to college and/or career. Students:

How many students are there in each class?

EdCAP 095 class capacity is usually around 25 students. Enrollment in other classes varies depending on the subject. Some coordinated studies classes, which are team taught by two teachers, can have 25-50 students.

How many credits do I need to get a high school diploma?

All new students starting the EdCAP program will be required to earn 22 credits in the following subject areas: English, Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, Occupational Education, Physical Education/Health, Senior Experience/Financial Literacy, Fine Arts, Culminating Project (except class of 2015 and beyond) and Electives. All students are responsible to pass the Washington State exit exams required by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for their original graduating class to earn a high school diploma.

Can new students start EdCAP summer quarter?

No. EdCAP only admits new students for Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters.

Are the HSPE/WASL/End of Course Math Exams required?

Yes. Students who have taken any WASL, HSPE, End-of-Course Math and/or Science exams, must obtain a copy of their scores from the high school attended when taking the exam(s) and submit these scores with the EdCAP Admissions Packet.

Students from an out-of-state high school should obtain test results from any state mandated testing required for high school graduation at the same time they get their official transcript.

I just want a high school diploma: can I move quickly through it and get it done?

You can move as quickly as possible by taking a full load of classes and attending every quarter without interruption as long as you are in good standing. If your hurry is to get into college faster, you might consider exploring classes towards a professional/technical ATA or certificate while working on high school diploma requirements as it could save a lot of tuition later.

Can I transfer to any 4-year college with a Professional/Technical degree or certificate?

Each individual college and/or university has different entrance requirements. It is best to check with a transfer advisor at Edmonds CC or the admissions office at the college you are interested in attending to find out specific information. If you plan to continue your education beyond EdCAP, you should also visit https://fafsa.ed.gov to review options for student aid. If you are an undocumented student please visit http://readysetgrad.org/wasfa to explore your student aid options.

What happens to the credits I earned in high school?

They are evaluated and applied toward high school diploma requirements in EdCAP.

What happens to the credits I earn while a student in EdCAP?

Any credits you earn become a part of your permanent college transcript at Edmonds Community College as well as your permanent high school transcript with the Edmonds School District.

Can I earn college credits in EdCAP?

Yes, if academically ready, you can get a jump start on taking college level classes that can be applied towards your high school diploma and towards a college certificate or degree.

How long will it take to get my high school diploma?

The length of time depends on the amount of credits transferred into EdCAP and the number of classes taken each quarter.

What if I didn't do well in high school? Will that count against me?

No. EdCAP helps provide a fresh start.

Can I get my GED® while in EdCAP?

Students cannot be enrolled in EdCAP and GED classes at the same time. Students can take the GED test while enrolled in EdCAP. Students needing a GED are encouraged to earn their GED prior to entering EdCAP or during a time when EdCAP is not in session.

If I am currently enrolled in high school, can I finish my quarter in high school and be in EdCAP at the same time?

No. You must withdraw from your high school and then start EdCAP. State regulations allow you to be enrolled in only one program at a time.

What do the schedules look like in EdCAP?

It depends on the demands of your own life. Are you working? Do you have medical appointments? Do you have to meet your little brother's school bus? We try to create schedules based on student needs and credit requirements. Each student is different. Classes are available morning and afternoon, with some evening and on-line classes available. Students can go part-time or full time.

What are the Professional/Technical Degree and Certificate options?

A listing of all Professional/Technical Degree and Certificate options that are offered at Edmonds CC can be viewed in the career training page of our online academic catalog.

What is a Professional/Technical degree and/or certificate?

These are vocational programs which prepare students with job skills in a specific field. Explore your options in the career training page of our online academic catalog.

What about attendance?

Attendance is required. Students are required to attend each class session that they are registered for at Edmonds Community College. Students under the age of 18 are required by the State of Washington's Becca Bill to attend a full time school program. Students are required to submit their attendance the 1st of every month to the Edmonds School District Office. Attendance Forms are available at the Developmental Education front desk in Mukilteo Hall, room 403 and online. Students who are exempt from this requirement are those who have obtained their GED or work a minimum of 40 hours a week. Students under the age of 18 that have their GED Certificate must provide the Edmonds School District Office with a copy of their GED Certificate. Students under the age of 18, who work 40 hours a week, must submit a copy of their pay stubs the first day of every month to the Edmonds School District Office.

Will my parents have access to my college records?

Edmonds Community College follows FERPA federal law guidelines. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. Written permission is required for instructors and staff to share records with parents. More information about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and forms for students/parents may be obtained by visiting Student Records page.