Counseling and Resource Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why see a counselor?
A: Counseling can help you understand and solve personal issues. A counselor doesn't judge, is patient and trained to be a sensitive, objective listener who can assist with finding solutions.

Q: What are some of the reasons why someone may see a counselor?
A: We often encounter a variety of reasons why someone may see a counselor. Some of the more typical topics include:

Q: Who can use the services of the Counseling and Resource Center at Edmonds Community College and how much does counseling cost?
A: Counseling services, consultation, and referral are FREE and available to students, campus employees, potential students, and community members. The Counseling Center does charge a fee for certain assessments such as Strong Interest Inventory and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.

Q: How do I see a counselor?
A: Counselors see clients by appointment only, except in the case of a crisis or emergency. Please contact the Counseling Center by calling 425.640.1358 or visit our office, located in Mountlake Terrace Hall, Room 145.

Q: Who are the counselors?
A: Our professional, well trained counselors have at least Master's level education in counseling or social work and typically licensed as a mental health counselor. Our counselors have chosen to work in a community college setting and are prepared to assist our clients with a variety of issues and topics to include personal, career, and student success counseling. 

Q: What is the difference between counseling and advising?
A: Counselors provide services to include career exploration and planning, personal counseling, and student success counseling. They also assist in choosing a major, resolving personal concerns, and developing strategies for student success.

Advisors assist students with developing a program plan once they have decided upon a course of study or major as well as selecting classes each quarter, understanding program requirements, and transferring to a college or university.

Typically an advisor will refer a student to the Counseling Center for career exploration if a student is undecided about their course of study or major.

A counselor will refer a student to the Advising Center if a student needs assistance with planning their course of study, selecting classes, or transferring to a college or university.

Q: Who will know if I receive services at the Counseling Center?
A: All records in the Counseling Center are personal and confidential. Information can only be released outside of the Counseling Center with your written and explicit consent.

Counseling records are NOT part of your educational record and are kept separate from college records. Even if a faculty member, friend, or college official refers you to the Counseling Center, your records and privacy will be protected.

If you decide to see a counselor, you will be given the counselor's disclosure statement, explaining client confidentiality in the State of Washington.