CLUG Notes May 15, 2008
Attendees: Anthony Lewis, Brandon Zimmerman, Carl Hurley, Caroline Mann, Elmo Cooper, Jessica Wallace, Joyce Kruithof, Kyle Berns, Paul Bladek, Steven Ater
- MS Vista: We still tentatively plan to move the academic computers to MS Vista for fall 2009. If you have strong feelings one way or the other about moving to MS Vista or if there is an instructional imperative, please let ACS and your department know.
- The future of Netscape in software images: The final release of Netscape is out and as of March 1st, 2008, AOL no longer supports Netscape. They are recommending that Netscape users move to Firefox. ACS will no longer have Netscape in software images as of Fall 2008.
- Upcoming student username changes: Beginning fall 2008 student usernames will no longer be used in the ACS labs (including Blackboard and student wireless). Students will instead use their student identification number (e.g. their 955 number). This will eliminate problems with duplicate and alternate usernames. It will be easier for students to figure out what their logon name is. The default password will still be the same. Since we are just renaming accounts instead of recreating them all existing passwords will be carried forward. Staff and faculty accounts on the ACS domain will not be affected.
- Tech Fee approvals: Requested new machines for SNH 104, Jerrilee Mosier’s area (Workforce Development) has covered this
- Requested MLT 212 machines be replaced - Approved
- Requested swap drive caddies for new machines in SNH 104 (already have enough hard drives) - Approved
- Requested 3-4 labs of new LCDs – 4 labs approved: ALD 104/105, SNH 104, SNH 124
- RAM upgrades: CIS purchased RAM to upgrade SNH 110. The computers now have 4 GB (new forensics software requires 4 GB of RAM). RAM from SNH 110 went into SNH 124 computers, they now have 2 GB. IT purchased RAM for MUK 311 & SNH 219, they now have 2 GB. Our goal is to get all computers up to 2 GB is preparation for MS Vista. Many computers already have 2 GB of RAM.
- SNH 105: CEN moving onto main campus this summer! They will move into SNH 105 (and a few other SNH rooms). There is the potential for fewer open labs and drop-in space.
- ACS staffing change: Brandon Zimmerman will be leaving over the summer. We will replace his position.
- MS Windows XP, SP3: MS Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is available. We are not sure that it will be rolled out for summer. We have found no problems in our testing. The main problems reported are with AMD-based computers and we do not have any of these computers. We will build 2 versions of our summer software images. One version will have SP3 and the other will not. We will continue to test throughout spring quarter and if we find no problems then we will roll out SP3 in the summer quarter software images.
- Software requests for fall quarter will be sent out next week. Requests for new or upgraded software will be due at the end of the first week of summer quarter. Confirmations for all other software will be due at the end of the second week of summer.