Students in the Summer in Seattle program can choose between two housing options:
Homestay family (includes meals) or Rainier Place, Edmonds Community College's on-campus dormitory housing (depending on availability, does not include meals)
Click on a button to display what our options are
Create friendships that last a lifetime. By living with a family, students can make new friends and improve their English skills as they experience family life in America. Ongoing support is provided by the Housing Services staff, which also trains and selects each family and places students by introducing them to prospective families.
Room, Food, Family Life:
The family will include the student as a member of their family, including participation in family activities and daily life. Students may be expected to be more independent in taking care of themselves than with their family at home. Students are expected to clean their own room, do their laundry, and clean up after themselves in the kitchen. Students are provided three meals a day. They help themselves to breakfast and lunch and the host family cooks a nice, hot, fresh meal for dinners. Any special foods, snacks, or personal items, students purchase for themselves. Students will have their own private single room with a bed, desk, chair, closet, and window.
Expectations of Students:
- Use the Community Transit Bus to travel from Host Families house to school
- First, try to resolve any problems with your family (then, if necessary, we will match you with a new family).
- To respect and follow the guidelines of the host family in the U.S.
- Abstain from illegal activities during your stay with the host family
- Communicate with Host Family if you are not coming home for meals or over night
Rainier Place is a wonderful place to live. The building is less than 4 years old and is fully furnished with the finest amenities:
- Safe and Sound -
- Entry to the building is controlled by secure entrance cards.
- Each resident has a key to their apartment and to their bedroom.
- Fully furnished -
- Each bedroom has a bed, a desk, a bookcase and a dresser.
- Living area has comfortable chairs or couches and a coffee table.
- Kitchen has kitchen chairs and a bar to sit at.
- All equipped -
- Electricity, water, garbage and internet access costs all included in your program fare.
- Your bedroom will have linens (sheets, pillows, blanket).
- Kitchen is ready to use with refrigerator, sink, garbage disposal, microwave, stove and oven.
- The program will also provide cooking utensils and dishes for your time here.
- Staff Supported -
- Residence advisers live on your floor and are always available to help with any concerns or issues.
All in all, Rainier Place is a comfortable place to live!
- Laundry room for resident use
- Study lounges
- Recreation and community room with media center and games
- For more information, check out the Rainier Place website