How to Obtain Your Student Visa
Once you have received your I-20, you should follow the steps below to obtain an F-1 student visa.
- Pay your SEVIS fee online. Print out the receipt and keep it with your passport and I-20.
- Go to http://www.fmjfee.com.
- Click on the button “Proceed to I-901 Form and Payment”.
- Select the circle “I-20” at the bottom of the page and click the blue button “OK”.
- Enter your “Last name”, “First name”, “Middle name (if any)”, “SEVIS Identification Number” and “Date of Birth”. You must enter the name as it appears on your I-20 and on your passport.
- When you are finished, click “Enter”.
- Make an appointment with the U.S. embassy/consulate closest to you.
- When you go to the appointment, bring the following paperwork with you:
- Passport (it should be valid for at least six months)
- Bank statement and/or sponsorship papers
- SEVIS fee receipt
- TOEFL scores; if you have them
- Be ready to answer questions at the consulate. The U.S. consulate officers will want to know what your plans are for your education and what your plans are after you graduate (bring diplomas and transcripts, if necessary).